Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'm Twittering!

I have this set of pictures of Hava that I've been meaning to put up for two weeks now, but somehow I haven't managed to find the time to write a good post to accompany them. So in the meantime, I'm going to let you in on my recent little experiment with Twitter.

Let me start by saying that I'm not sure I really get Twitter. It's interesting as a social phenomena -- who are all these people who have the free time to Twitter? and why do they bother? -- but I'm not sure I really see the point. Be that as it may, my friend Dave explained the whole Twitter thing to me a little while back and I decided I'd it a try.

They tell me that part of parenting -- and part of life -- is appreciating the beauty in everyday life. So my theory was that by committing myself to Twitter at a respectable rate (which for me is about five times a week -- and surely a lot less than your typical text-message-junkie teenager), I'd force myself to pay attention to those moments of everyday beauty. And then I'd capture their essence with pithy little haiku of 140 characters or less. And through my artistry -- volia! -- I'd learn to become more at peace with the world and transform myself into a better person to boot.

That was the theory, anyway. In practice, I haven't found peace or become a better person, and in fact I've generally found my Twitter habit difficult to keep up. Part of the problem may be that I currently have exactly one follower -- that being someone named SueWong@MakeUMoney who showed up unannounced and uninvited a few weeks back -- which is a situation I fund both pathetic and creepy at the same time. (I should also point out that this means I'm only 1,499,999 or so followers behind Ashton Kutcher, which is pathetic (for different reasons) and also pretty darn funny at the same time.)

So at Ruth Ann's urging, I'm coming out of the closet with my Twitter habit. If for some reason you'd you can't get enough of Jonah and Hava, or if you think you'd like to get bite-sized updates about the mundane details of our life delivered to your iphone, or if you're just curious about this Twitter thing you keep hearing about but aren't ready to swim in the deep water with the Ashton Kutcher followers -- then by all means sign up and keep SueWong@MakeUMoney company. You can find us under the name ToddlerJonah.

No comments: