Wednesday, January 10, 2007

8 Pounds, 8 Ounces, and Thriving

Well, we weighed Jonah a few days ago and he was 7 lbs., 14 oz. We weighted him again today, figuring maybe we'd be at that magic number of 8 lbs. (magic to us anyway, 'cause it's a nice round number and seems like a healthy weight); and lo and behold he's zipped right past that marker and is already up to 8 lbs., 8 oz.!

And yes, as you've observed, we're a little obsessed with Jonah's weight. We had good reason at the start: Jonah's relatively low birth weight (5 lbs., 9 oz.) seemed to cause a modest amount of anxiety among our various medical care-givers, and so like any good new parents we picked up on that anxiety and started worrying ourselves. Hence the scale at our house and the regular weigh-ins that Jonah has to suffer through. At this point, however, we have to admit that there's no longer much cause for anxiety. New babies are "supposed to" gain 1/2 lb. a week, so Jonah is well ahead of schedule and at 8.5 lbs. is up to what seems like a comfortable, healthy weight. We probably won't be able to resist plunking him on the scale a couple more times (sorry kid), but hopefully those weighings will be less about our anxiety and more about enjoying the fact that our son is thriving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi guys,
I just went through the whole blog thing. I love it. Thanks so much for doing this. The kids haven't seen this yet, but they will love it and feel part of seeing Jonah grow.
Thanks so much for the ceremony yesterday. I am just so deeply touched yet again. Feeling privileged
to be part of your family. I think you know and appreciate how rich you guys are with love and community.
I am crying because I wish so much my kids and I had a little more of that. I know my kids don't feel like they are missing anything and they do feel part of a family and community. Being there yesterday just brought up stuff I am missing or have never had.
It just hit me how lucky the three of you are and also how much love and work you put into keeping that sense of family and community alive.
I am yet again awed by who you are.
Thanks so much for letting me be part of the birth and these nights.
I hope I can do some more of those and that you will not need many more.
About this picture in particular. It's good to know how big and fat Jonah is growing and your guy's change in attitude about it all. I don't think there is anything you need to worry about in the least bit. That kid and Mom and Dad are doing fantastic.
Lots of Love
Anke